Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rise above plastics



There is a section of the Pacific Ocean twice the size of the continental United States called the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Within it, 100 million tons of plastic swirl in a vortex of currents. There is so much plastic in the water that it outnumbers zooplankton by six to one!
This plastic ends up in the stomachs of marine birds and animals. In fact, one million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals die globally each year due to ingestion of or entanglement in plastics.
Plastic is forever, with virtually every piece of petroleum based plastic ever made still in existence. That's why it's so critical to our oceans and beaches that we dramatically reduce our use of plastics, especially single-use plastics, starting today.
You can make a difference for our world's oceans, waves and beaches -- pledge to rise above plastics today.
I took the pledge today!  I have many reusable shopping bags and we all have reusable water bottles but sometimes {well a lot of times} I forget to bring my bags to the store etc.... I am pledging to be more mindful in my daily life to search for alternatives to plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment